Dr. Abeer Shakweer holds a Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering from the University of Nottingham in the UK, a MSc. in Computer Science form the same university, and a B.Sc. in Chemical Engineering from Cairo University. She is currently an advisor to the Minister of Communications and Information Technology for Community Development.
Prior to her appointment at the Ministry, Dr. Shakweer served as advisor for Scientific Research and Innovation at Misr El Kheir Foundation, Planning and Monitoring Manager at the Science and Technology Development Fund (STDF), and Executive Director of the Center for Future Studies at the Cabinet Information and Decision Support Center (IDSC).
Dr. Shakweer was involved in several projects including:
- The EU project on the establishment of the first innovation fund in Egypt, the “Innovation Foresight for MEDA partners in the European Research Area”;
- The “Innovation Foresight for MEDA Partners in the European Research Area (INNFORMED)” on the future of Energy in Egypt;
- The Commercialization of Egyptian Technologies project with the – IC2 institute at the University of Texas;
- The development of the Egyptian Industrial Innovation Strategy for the Ministry of Trade and Industry and the National Innovation Strategy for the Egyptian National Competitiveness Council;
- Egypt vision 2030, Innovation Strategy for Egypt 2030 and the UNHABITAT urban planning project for Egyptian cities;
Moreover, Dr. Shakweer was a member of the Egyptian delegation to the United Nations Climate Change Negotiations at the COP 15, as well as co-founder and Head of Programs at Ebad El Rahman NGO, 1995. She has also presented her work at several international conferences.