The Scientific Council represents the cornerstone of ECASTI and is the main body responsible for the Center’s activities. Its membership will consist of young scientists and researchers for a period of three years only; members will not be less than 50 and not more than 100 members, taking into consideration that:
- 50% of members will be resident in Egypt and 50% will be from the Egyptians living abroad;
- The proportion of young researchers represents 80%, while the more experienced researchers will represent 20%.
The Scientific will be formed through a 10-person selection committee, half of which will be from Egyptian scientists abroad.
Criteria of membership include the following:
- A Ph.D. or an equivalent degree in any branch of science, under the condition that the researcher has earned their degree or equivalent experience in a research environment no more than 10 years ago;
- Scientific excellence, ascertained by a proven track record and expected future achievements based on standards set by the Executive Committee;
- Demonstrated commitment to public service through a proposal about the researcher’s conception of change;
- The age limit of youth members (80%) is 45 years in order to encourage young researchers and guarantee the creation of a distinguished generation of young scientists.
The over-riding criteria for selection will be scientific excellence and commitment to public service, as the selection committee will seek to maximize the breadth of national, disciplinary and gender representation.